Ouch

One china cabinet, two bookshelves, one hurting Kir
So since I've been a bit manic lately, yesterday I decided it was finally time to make some progress on my disaster of a house. I had wanted to move a pair of bookshelves out of the living room for quite a while and of course it seemed like a good idea to undertake that project while the husband was at work and I have a rambunctious 3-year-old underfoot. Because why wouldn't that be a good idea? 

Did I mention the living room is sunken and I was moving the bookshelves into the dining room, which has a six inch step up? No? Oh, yeah. Well there is that. 

So after a nice round of cuddles with the child, I put "Suburgatory" on my Hulu+ to just keep playing and started taking books off shelves. Then I remembered I needed to move the china cabinet in order to make room for the shelves. Luckily that just slid. About two commercial breaks later my entire living room was covered with piles of books and stuff and the bookshelf was cleaned and detached from the wall. 

Moving the first one wasn't so bad. I did find a few books that were too dirty and worn out (not classics, old funky text books) that were not going back up and then arranged what was left to allow my two main sewing machines to live on the bottom shelf. Then came the second bookshelf. 

I managed to clear it off just like the previous one, and even got it moved to the edge of the living room al right. But when I tried to tilt it to slide it up the step, I dropped it. On my left arm and thigh and my glider. I was screaming at it "NO! YOU WILL NOT FALL!" while trying to protect the bookshelf and the furniture it was threatening and not tip it the other way onto my kid who was watching all this from the love seat. I yelled at her to get out of the living room so she wouldn't get hurt, while I maneuvered around the almost horizontal bookshelf in such a way as to right it mostly the way up and angle it onto the dining room floor. Eventually I got it in place and loaded it up. 

Once there wasn't a dozen piles of books and blankets and stuff around the living room, I moved the rest of the furniture and vacuumed a dozen times. 

I didn't notice anything wrong until I was downstairs online last night and rubbed my arms because I was a little chilly and felt the lemon sized knot in my left forearm. Pulling up my sleeve, I found the four inch bruise across the top of my arm. I don't even remember that happening specifically. Today the bruise is ugly and purple and my shoulder is stiff and my fingers and hand feel frozen and painful. I also have a bruise on my thigh. I look a mess. 

Nothing is sexier than furniture related injuries eh? No wonder I only made $0.20 (you read that right) last night. I have no idea how I'm going to perform tonight. My only saving grace is that I'm right handed. But still! Half my body feels likes I was beaten with a baseball bat. Or a bookshelf. 

At least I now have a place to put the Yule tree. If I can carry it out of the basement any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment