Male privilege

I've been thinking a lot about "Male Privilege" lately. You can imagine why that would be on my mind considering the cam modeling and everything else in my life.

If you aren't familiar with the term, male privilege refers to the sociological benefits and privileges men have as an inherent part of being men. The highest level of this is of course seen in cis gendered white men in our (American) society.

What this means to women is that being male in this society is considered the default and therefore women, or non-typically gendered men are at an immediate disadvantage. It means men are raised to believe that women are always available for them, that their needs come first and that they know, are, will always be, best.

A good example of male privilege is rape prevention.

Women are indoctrinated from a young age that they can't wear this, do that, go there, drink that, act like that, think like this... Or they might be raped.

Are boys ever taught not to rape with the same intensity? If a women reports her sexual assault, her entire life is laid bare for the world to examine just in case she is a whore or a liar or an evil seductress, or might have been "asking for it." But the man's life is protected and he is sheltered "innocent until proven guilty" even though the victim is considered guilty of something because otherwise she wouldn't have been raped.

What. The. Fuck?

On the cam site I know the men are there to get off to whatever floats their fancy, but, that doesn't mean they can disregard what I have put in my profile and room topic and demand that I do something for them just because that's what they want in the moment. And yet, that is exactly what happens more than I like. And even though I am upfront and honest about what I do and don't do, I get penalized by men who are unhappy that I'm not willing to drop all my barriers just for them. Especially since 99% of the time, they are making these demands in my free chat room, haven't even paid me, but assume because I am a cam model, I'm some sort of virtual fuck toy they can manipulate and play with as they wish.

No.

It does not work that way.

I am a complete person. I have total autonomy over my own body and even though I perform masturbatory acts online does not mean I have given up ownership of my body. Even my own husband forgets this sometimes and will grab or grope at inappropriate times because he is horny and he hasn't thought about what his action will do to me. My husband is liberal and progressive, and still tends to think that what he wants trumps all, even if he isn't aware that's how he is acting!

I was having fun on the cam site there for a while, but lately it has been very very hard. I'm not making enough money and it seems too many members want a free show and get offended if I won't bend and spread and flash and whatever for free, or even worse they throw $2.00 "Gold" at me ($0.70 to me) and expect me to be so grateful I'll do virtually anything to thank them. And people wonder why sometimes it is damn hard for me to be there and occassionally I feel really cheap and used.

I had a not terrible night last and I'm hoping this is the start of a turnaround and soon I will be back to $200.00+ weeks. One can hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment