Not Really a Salesperson

Tonight is my last shift at my telemarketing job before we close down for the Thanksgiving holiday. Needless to say, I'm not really giving 100% trying to get leads because ther is no way I can hit commission. But I'm still being professional and following company guidelines and protocal, while counting down the minutes until I go home.

So I got someone on the line tonight in one of our "trigger" campaigns. These are phone lists that have been generated by the individual doing something that required a credit check, which "triggers" us to call them. In other words, they are already getting a ton of calls.

Anyway, this individual answers the phone with lots of energy and almost immediately asks "what are you selling tonight?" I responded as per training "nothing, I'm offering a free, no obligation..." At this point the person goes off on a long speech about how they are a salesperson, that everyone is selling something 24 hours a day, and that if a salesperson says they aren't selling anything, that's the wrong answer.

At this point I knew the lead was lost.

Also, my stomach hurt.

I'm still struggling with the concept that I am a salesperson. There is such a negative conotation associated with the entire field of sales, that even though I am actively trying to embrace my selling, I still recoil emotionally when called out as a salesperson.

How do I reconcille what I have to do to make a living with my own internal prejudice against sales? I honestly don't know. But I'm going to have to figure this out if I'm going to be successful as a telemarketer, web cam model, artist or pet sitter.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment