The Rules

So it is no secret that I keep in touch with people I met on the cam site off site. Some of you read this blog, some have my email address, some have my phone number for texting...

What is really interesting is the "rules" that come along with this offsite contact. And almost universally, I'm not the one making them.

"Don't text me, just email."
"Text me! It is easier!"
"Don't message me, just text."

And then I get emails or texts or whatever at all times. Even though everyone knows I'm a family woman and have a "day job," the rules only apply to my behavior, not theirs.

This is an interestingly sexist behavior that I don't think they even notice they are doing. Even when we become friends, I'm still treated a bit like a commodity, a convenience for them... And it is purely a one way set-up.

I should probably be more annoyed by this than I am. Sometimes it gets to me, but mostly I just find it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment